Labor Day is a day to save money! While you rest from your labor, you can also enjoy a meal or two out and stock up on some items in an economical way! Allow me to share a few cost saving tips for the day.
- Labor Day is the day to pick up light bulbs, appliances, tools and any items needed for maintaining the household. Pick up a Sutherland’s ad (20% off nearly everything) and take it to Lowe’s Home Improvement, who will beat their competitor’s price by 10%. By putting it on a Discover card, you can save an additional 5% for about 35% total. Or if you’d rather just shop at Sutherland’s, that’s still a savings of 20%. Check my recent article for complete details: How to Save Money at Lowe’s Home Improvement.
- If you don’t have a Sam’s Club Membership then this weekend is a great time to get it. Monday is the last day to take advantage of a sweet membership offer.When purchasing a membership, Sam’s club is offering a free upgrade to their Plus Membership (over their Savings Membership) for only $45 (this typically costs about $100). Included are bonuses like earlier shopping times to avoid the crowds (3 hours before Costco even opens) and $10 back on every $500 you spend. On top of that you will receive a $20 Sam’s Club gift card, free food vouchers for pizza and cookies if you are one of the first 40,000 to take advantage of this deal. As an added convenience you can sign up right here.
- Once you have a Sam’s Club membership you have access to some great deals. The Van Heussen dress shirts I wear came from Sam’s (at about 60% off retail). The Zero Xposure coat I’m about to break out was about 80% off at Sam’s and the gift cards are great! Why not go out for a nice lunch right after swinging by Sam’s for some gift cards. You can pick up cards for Chili’s ($100 gift cards for $85.98), Cowboy Chicken ($50 gift cards for $39.98), Fuddrucker’s ($50 gift cards for $39.98), Steak ‘n Shake ($50 gift cards for $39.98) or Texas Land and Cattle, Logan’s Roadhouse and others. For complete details with what cards are available and how to maximize your savings, check out A Simple Way to Save Money at Restaurants.
- Now for dinner, one great option is Carino’s Restaurants; they have a great deal for families this Monday night (and every Monday night). The family platters are made to feed a family of 4 and the platters are 1/2 price on Monday nights. The family platters consist of a main dish along with 4 side salads and bread. And of course, if you get takeout, the cost is minimized even more with no tip being required and drinks pulled from your own fridge. By doing this the cost for the meal is about $4 per person for 4 people. That’s a great deal!
- Finally, Labor Day is a day to rest from one’s labor. Needed rest isn’t costly, instead it can be quite rewarding!
photo credit: Pictures of Money, Money via Flickr cc License – 10/8/15 with no changes