How to save money at restaurants is one topic to which we frequently apply wiser dollar strategies. This post is the first of a series that will address how to apply money saving strategies at specific restaurants. Given that each restaurant is set up uniquely we will address individual restaurants specifically. Today, the restaurant is Steak ‘n Shake. Below are 8 strategies for saving money:
- Purchase gift cards at Save Ya . Currently they are offering a 25% discount on Steak ‘n Shake cards.
- Pay for the gift card from Save Ya with the Citi Double Points card. I use this card because I receive 1% cash back at purchase and another 1% cash back when I pay the balance. And I pay the full balance each month. Please do not use a credit card for such purchases unless you carry no ongoing balance. For every $100 in gift cards purchased I receive $2 back through this card.
- If you’d rather not purchase gift cards online then one option is to pay for your purchase with an app; check out Steak ‘n Shake’s rewards program. You can receive a free regular milkshake with your first app purchase. Receive $5 in rewards for every $50 spent. So this strategy saves 10%, while strategy #1 would save you 25%.
- During certain seasons you may purchase gift cards at Steak ‘n Shake with a bonus card; you can purchase a $25 card and get an extra $5 card. Currently the promotional is a free double steak burger with cheese, french fries and a regular soft drink, when you purchase a $25 gift card.
- If you would enjoy a milkshake, then purchase it between 2 and 5 p.m. and 2 and 5 a.m. All shakes are half price during these hours.
- Don’t forget about the $4 menu. Various kinds of burgers and fries for four bucks is not bad.
- Get take-out instead of dining in. In order to save tip money, take-out is always a money saving strategy.
- Of course, order water if you’d like additional savings.
What is your favorite restaurant? Let me know and you may see an upcoming post about how to save money on the food you enjoy.
photo credit: David Amsler, Steak n Shake Meal via Flicker cc License – 3/28/16 with no changes