There are some great deals in Lubbock, Texas! While most of my site applies to anyone in the United States, since I live in Lubbock, some tips are most beneficial to fellow Lubbock residents. So I invite my fellow Lubbockites to check this page regularly as money saving strategies are shared and added to frequently.
Best Deals at Lubbock Restaurants
- Taco Tuesdays is a good deal at Rosa’s. The Taco Dinner which retails at $6.99 is available for $3.99 on Tuesdays.
- One Guy from Italy has a lunch special where you get a traditional calzone and drink for $6 including tax. They promote the calzones as the best in Texas and I believe it. The calzones are large enough and hearty enough that some would be able to split it with a friend. So $3 each is a great deal.
Many Lubbock restaurants have great deals for families:
- Johnny Carino’s Italian Restaurant has a great deal for families on Monday nights. We ordered takeout for one of their family platters that are made to feed a family of 4. The platter includes a main dish along with 4 side salads and bread. On Monday nights the family platters are 1/2 price. If you get takeout, no tip is required. A family of 4 can eat for about $4 each.
The following Lubbock restaurants have offers where kids eat free:
- At Soupersalad! kids 3 and under always eat free.
- Abuelo’s Taqueria gives a free kids meal with the purchase of one entree on Friday evenings.
- Golden Corral always allows kids 3 and under to eat for free.
- Ruby Tequila’s allow kids to eat free on Mondays. You may get up to two free kids meals for each adult entree purchased
- At Mama Fu’s kids eat free on Sundays provided an adult purchases an entree and drink. This offer is for dine in only.
- At Beef O’Brady’s kids eat free from 4 p.m. until closing.
- Dickey’s Barbecue provides a free kids meal on Sundays along with free ice cream, provided an adult purchased a meal of equal or greater value. This offer is for dine in only.
- At Denny’s kids under 12 eat free between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Tuesdays.
Many Lubbock restaurants will give you food items in exchange for filling out a feedback card:
- Ruby Tequila’s will give you a free bowl of queso in exchange for filling out a feedback form.
- Pei Wei and Jason’s Deli will provide a free cookie for filling out a feedback form.
- Some Dairy Queens will give you a free Dilly Bar for filling out a form as well.
Many Lubbock restaurants will give a discount to senior citizens:
- Freddie’s will give senior citizens a 15% discount.
Just show your AARP card to receive discounts at the following:
- Bonefish Grill – 15% off everyday
- Outback Steakhouse – 15% off everyday
- Denny’s – 15% off everyday
- Dunkin’ Donuts – get a donut with the purchase of a large or extra large beverage
- Papa John’s – 25% off regular menu price on all orders
Many Lubbock restaurants have some nice perks on your birthday:
- Firehouse Sub will give you a free medium sub on your birthday. Order any medium sandwich you like and then show your I.D. that shows your birthday.
A number of restaurants will send you great deals for your birthday week if you sign up for their returns club:
- Jason’s Deli will send you a $5 off coupon.
- Abuelo’s Taqueria will send a coupon for a free meal with the purchase of another meal.
- Fuddrucker’s sends out a coupon for a free 1/3 hamburger with the purchase of another menu item of equal or greater value.
- Chili’s and On the Border send out a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert with the purchase of a meal.
- Rosa’s and Applebee’s will send you a coupon for a free entree with the purchase of another entree of equal or greater value.
Best Places in Lubbock to Buy Select Items
- On major holidays, Sutherland’s give 20% off most of their inventory. So if you are needing a hardware item this is a good time to make the purchase.
- Retool is a great place to buy discounted, used hand tools.
- For vitamins and health food begin by checking out Drug Emporium. I daily eat Ezekiel bread and Drug Emporium has the best deal in town. Costco has a large selection of organic foods and decent prices as well. Alternative Health Food gives 20% off their supplements one weekend per month.
- For men’s clothing, Sam’s Club is the best place to shop. The selection is limited, but over the years I’ve bought Van Heusen dress shirts, Savane dress slacks, Members Mark jeans and a nice heavy duty Zero Xposure coat. All of these items were 60 to 80% off retail.
- For prescription medicine, check out the prices at Sam’s Club and Costco. At least at Sam’s Club you must sign up for the more expensive membership to receive the greater discount, but they have a number of medicines that are free.
- For gasoline purchases the best deals are usually at Costco, Sam’s Club and Bolton’s. Download the free Gas Buddy app and you can compare prices as often as you like.
- For shoes, compare prices at Shoe Carnival, Shoe Dept. Encore and Academy. After many years of comparing, these three businesses tend to have the better deals.
- People 50 and older can sign up at Beall’s for a special card where you will then receive 20% off purchases every Tuesday.
Best Places in Lubbock to Get Gift Cards
- Sam’s Club and Costco sell gift cards at a 20% discount. For instance you can purchase a $50 gift card for $39.98 at Sam’s Club; they offer the same discount for Logan’s Restaurant, Cold Stone Creamery, Steak and Shake and other businesses as well. Costco offers the same 20% discount on gift cards to Einstein Brothers Bagels. Related: A Simple Way to Save Money at Restaurants
- Trade in books, CD’s and DVD’s at Hastings Entertainment. With store credit you can the purchase gift cards to Lowe’s Home Improvement, Southwest Airlines, Cracker Barrel, On the Border, Chili’s, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Foot Locker and other stores. For more details on how to do this check out my article, Make Money Selling Books, which is published on the Making Sense of Cents site.
Best Places in Lubbock to Sell Used Stuff
- Plato’s Closet – clothing
- Runway Fashion Exchange – clothing
- Hasting’s Entertainment – books, CD’s and DVD’s
- Once Upon a Child – children’s clothes and toys
- Re-Tool – tools
- Play It Again Sports – sporting equipment
- Decor and More – furniture and home decor
- Related: Where Do I Find Money?
Best Car Deals in Lubbock
- If you have a service engine light illuminating on your car’s dashboard, Advanced Auto will perform a diagnostic check for free to discern the nature of the problem.
- For auto parts, do a google search for “Advanced Auto” and “$40”. You will find coupon codes that can be used online at Advanced Auto website. If you spend at least $100 then there is a $40 savings. So buy what is needed and add in air filters, a tire gauge, etc. to get the purchase over $100. You can then pick up the items at the local store.
- Wrench A Part (on the Slaton Highway) has hundreds, if not thousands, of wrecked cars in stock. You can take your tools, remove the part you need and pay much less then new. Their inventory is very well organized. This is also a great place to purchase booster cables ($5.00) and even tires as they have sets that are like new but much less than what a new set costs. Likewise, if you have a totaled vehicle you’d like to sell, they will make an offer and pick up the vehicle, so no tow fee is incurred.
- If you prefer to buy new tires, Sam’s Club offers discounted prices, along with road hazard warranties, and free rotation and balancing for the life of the tire. I also purchase car batteries there as well.
- If you’re looking for an economical used car, then check out Dover Auto Sales on Marsha Sharp Freeway (between Slide Road and the West Loop). There is a small inventory, but the cars tend to be economically priced (5,000 to 8,000). Likewise the owner will search for a particular make and model in which you are interested.
Money Saving Tips for College Students at Texas Tech, LCU, Wayland and South Plains College
- Don’t buy gas near the Texas Tech campus. It will be much less expensive a few miles away.
- Purchase the majority of your groceries at Walmart. If you have the brand name of Great Value, Equate or Sam’s Choice then that will probably be your best deal. Related: A Simple Way to Save Money on Groceries
- At your favorite restaurants ask if they give discounts to college students. A number of restaurants do but they may not advertise it. By asking you may save 15% on that meal and every meal thereafter.
- Buy textbooks on Amazon. Then sell your used books on Amazon as well. You will get a much better return that way.
- Check out any coupons that might be available in the S.U.B. at Tech.
- Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid any ongoing credit card debt. Pay off credit card balances in full after receiving the statement. This is a very important practice to do and will help you out long term.
Free Stuff in Lubbock
- When getting oil changes at Bolton’s accept their offer of a free Coke.
- First Bank and Trust provides free Cokes and suckers to their customers.
- CityBank provides free coffee and mints.
- Mardel has free coffee for customers.
- Costco and Sam’s Club have free food samples regularly. Sam’s Club also has a kiosk (West of the registers) where you can get free samples. Related: Free Food!
- Sign up for Harbor Freight’s flyers. They typically have a few free items such as flashlights or small clamps.
Check back as more money saving strategies for Lubbock residents will be added. It will be listed under the menu item “Lubbock Deals”.
photo credit: scumdogsteev, Belltower on TTU Administration Building via via Flickr cc License – 12/27/15 with no changes