Where do I find money? How do I get money? How do I pay the bills? These are questions many ask when bills come and finances are tight. However, without knowing it, you may have thousands of dollars readily available. In this year alone we have discovered over $2,500 in an unexpected place — our closets. Now it wasn’t all greenbacks, but rather forms of capital that could be liquidated and converted to cash. In other words, we found $2,500 worth of stuff that we sold; items that we were not using and were occupying space. I sold an old scientific calculator from my college days for about $150.00, now that’s about what we paid for it originally, but that’s a nice bonus for something I hadn’t used more than 30 minutes in the last 30 years. All together we earned $1200 through Ebay sales, about $650 through Amazon sales and about another $700 through selling items at local businesses along with a garage sale.
While it requires some time to go through items and find the best way to sell an item for the greatest potential income, in the end it redeems time as well. The more we rid our home of unneeded items then the more spacious our home feels and the less time required to maintain, clean, arrange and store such items. While our home is not clutter free, by us having a value of cleaning out periodically, it not only facilitates us being able to stay in a moderate sized home, but also provides a source of income. At least for the first eight months of this year that extra source has provided over $2,500.
In addition to Ebay and Amazon, we sold items on Craigslist, along with the local stores listed below (all of the stores, except the last, are franchises with businesses in multiple cities).
- Plato’s Closet – clothing
- Runway Fashion Exchange – clothing
- Hasting’s Entertainment – books, CD’s and DVD’s
- Once Upon a Child – children’s clothes and toys
- Re-Tool – tools
- Play It Again Sports – sporting equipment
- Along with a local consignment furniture/interior decor store
Are you ready to trade in extra stuff for cash? If so you too may be setting on $2,500 or more. What inspiring stories do you have about cleaning out and selling unused items?
- Receive a free $10 Walmart or Target gift card when you make your first purchase through Ebates along with cash back bonuses at your favorite stores. Click here to sign up.
- Purchase discounted checks through Extra Value Checks. I recently purchased checks with them and received about 50% off what banks would typically charge!
- Access Walmart’s online clearance site for huge savings on thousands of items, plus receive free shipping on purchases over $50!
photo credit: Pile of Cash via Flickr cc License – 9/4/15 with no changes